- STATE OVERVIEW
Alaska is 29th this year
It was 30th in 2010
- 24 Outcomes Rank
- 39 Determinants Rank
- 29 Overall Rank
- 1 Diabetes Rank
- 38 Smoking Rank
- 13 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low prevalence of diabetes
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High violent crime rate
- High incidence of infectious disease
- In the past five years, smoking decreased from 24.9 percent to 20.4 percent of the population. However, 145,000 adults still smoke.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 10.6 percent to 15.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, binge drinking increased from 16.9 percent to 19.1 percent of the population.
- 179,000 adults (25.2 percent of adults) in Alaska are obese, 47,000 more than 10 years ago.
- Alaska ranks lower for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness may decline over time.
- In Alaska, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians and Alaskan Natives at 37.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 17.6 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: http://health.hss.state.ak.us
|Physical Activity||15||78||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||34||46.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||48||71.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||29||69.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||25||23.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||8||26.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||1||2.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||2||2.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||6||34.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||1||5.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||1||8.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||8||44205||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||19||7.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||19||8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||15||14.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||2||0.422||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||9||59672||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||1||10.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.