- STATE OVERVIEW
Alabama is 48th this year
It was 45th in 2010
- 49 Outcomes Rank
- 43 Determinants Rank
- 48 Overall Rank
- 50 Diabetes Rank
- 43 Smoking Rank
- 49 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- High per capita public health funding
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High prevalence of diabetes
- High prevalence of obesity
- High prevalence of smoking
- In the last year, the violent crime rate decreased from 450 to 378 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past five years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 13.5 percent to 15.9 percent.
- In the past year, binge drinking decreased from 11.4 percent to 10.4 percent of the population.
- Over 1.5 million people in Alabama are obese, a half million more than 10 years ago.
- Over one million adults smoke in Alabama, just 86,000 less than ten years ago.
- Diabetes has nearly doubled in the last 10 years, with 624,000 adults affected.
- In Alabama, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.0 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 15.3 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 10.9 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.adph.org
|Physical Activity||48||68.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||39||53||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||15||79.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||40||64.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||41||20.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||48||37.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||47||6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||47||5.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||43||39.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||48||10.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||49||13.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||42||33516||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||40||9.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||31||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||36||17.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||45||0.472||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||46||42224||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||47||21.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.