- STATE OVERVIEW
Arkansas is 48th this year
It was 47th in 2011
- 46 Outcomes Rank
- 48 Determinants Rank
- 48 Overall Rank
- 44 Diabetes Rank
- 48 Smoking Rank
- 44 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Moderate immunization coverage
- Moderate per capita public health funding
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of obesity & sedentary lifestyle
- High prevalence of smoking
- In the past ten years, the infant mortality rate decreased from 8.2 to 7.5 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, children in poverty increased from 21.8 percent to 25.4 percent of children under the age of 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 81.5 to 79.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Smoking remains high at 27.0 percent of the adult population, with more than 600,000 adult smokers in the state.
- There are almost a quarter-million adults with diabetes in Arkansas.
- Almost 700,000 adults in Arkansas are obese, and the same number of adults lead a sedentary lifestyle.
- In Arkansas, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 43.2 percent than Hispanics at 31.0 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 30.4 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 22.7 percent than Hispanics at 16.8 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.healthyarkansas.com
|Cholesterol Check||41||70.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||46||61.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||44||69.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||48||52.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||36||15.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||29||18.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||48||5.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||38||40.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||50||6.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||43||35.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||37||12.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||44||34014||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||29||8.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||20||14.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||33||0.4684||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||49||24.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.