- STATE OVERVIEW
Arkansas is 47th this year
It was 48th in 2010
- 44 Outcomes Rank
- 46 Determinants Rank
- 47 Overall Rank
- 33 Diabetes Rank
- 46 Smoking Rank
- 39 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Moderate geographic disparity within the state
- Moderate high school graduation rate
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rates of cancer deaths and cardiovascular deaths
- In the past five years, the infant mortality rate declined from 8.1 to 7.5 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 13.7 percent to 18.9 percent.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 25.7 percent to 21.8 percent of the population.
- Smoking remains high at 22.9 percent of the adult population, with 670,000 adult smokers in the state.
- The number of adults with diabetes has increased by 70 percent in the last ten years, with 279,000 people now affected.
- Almost 900,000 people in Arkansas are obese, 275,000 more individuals than 10 years ago.
- In Arkansas, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.5 percent than Hispanics at 30.1 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 29.8 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.3 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.8 percent of Hispanics and 9.3 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.healthyarkansas.com
|Physical Activity||44||70.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||47||61.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||38||74.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||46||61.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||40||20.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||45||34.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||43||5.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||41||5.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||34||38.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||44||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||40||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||44||32678||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||26||8.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||17||7.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||19||14.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||30||0.458||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||49||39804||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||43||19.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.