- STATE OVERVIEW
Arizona is 25th this year
It was 27th in 2011
- 21 Outcomes Rank
- 28 Determinants Rank
- 25 Overall Rank
- 26 Diabetes Rank
- 14 Smoking Rank
- 11 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Low rates of cancer deaths & cardiovascular deaths
- High percentage of children in poverty
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- Low high school graduation rate
- Almost 1.2 million adults in Arizona lead a sedentary lifestyle, and 1.2 million are obese.
- Almost half a million adults in Arizona have diabetes.
- In the last year, children in poverty decreased from 27.3 percent of children under age 18 to 24.7 percent.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 61.5 to 52.9 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past year, the rate of cardiovascular deaths decreased from 218.3 to 210.3 deaths per 100,000 population.
- More than 900,000 adults smoke in Arizona.
- In Arizona, obesity is more prevalent among Hispanics at 31.0 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.1 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.azdhs.gov
|Cholesterol Check||30||73.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||25||70.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||16||75.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||39||41.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||10||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||22||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||16||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||37||40.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||22||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||5||28.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||32||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||40||35875||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||38||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||45||18||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||25||0.46||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||31||17.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.