- STATE OVERVIEW
California is 22nd this year
It was 22nd in 2011
- 15 Outcomes Rank
- 24 Determinants Rank
- 22 Overall Rank
- 17 Diabetes Rank
- 2 Smoking Rank
- 5 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low infant mortality rate
- Low prevalence of obesity & sedentary lifestyle
- Low prevalence of smoking
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High levels of air pollution
- Low high school graduation rate
- Although fewer adults smoke in California as a percentage of population compared to other states, 3.9 million adults still smoke.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 63.1 to 51.9 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the rate of cardiovascular deaths decreased from 332.90 to 250.4 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease increased from 8.5 to 17.0 cases per 100,000 population.
- More than 2.5 million adults in the state have diabetes.
- More than 6.7 million adults in California are obese, and 5.4 million lead a sedentary lifestyle.
- In California, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 37.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 21.6 percent; sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 27.0 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 16.1 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 17.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 12.6 percent and Hispanics at 12.2 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.cdph.ca.gov
|Cholesterol Check||24||75.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||27||69.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||3||80.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||22||31.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||8||3.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||11||36||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||5||3.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||4||27.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||5||9.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||12||44481||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||49||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||49||21.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||46||0.4812||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||34||18.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.