- STATE OVERVIEW
California is 22nd this year
It was 26th in 2010
- 18 Outcomes Rank
- 24 Determinants Rank
- 22 Overall Rank
- 24 Diabetes Rank
- 2 Smoking Rank
- 10 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low infant mortality rate
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- High levels of air pollution
- High rate of uninsured population
- Low immunization coverage
- 9.2 million people in California are obese, 2.4 million more adults than 10 years ago.
- Although1.3 million fewer adults smoke in California compared to 10 years ago, there remains 4.5 million adults who do smoke.
- California ranks lower for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness may decline over time.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 18.5 percent to 23.0 percent of the population.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.8 percent to 8.6 percent of the population. Diabetes now affects 3.2 million adults.
- In California, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.8 percent than non-Hispanic Asians at 8.4 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.1 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.0 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.cdph.ca.gov
|Physical Activity||10||79.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||22||38.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||36||74.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||27||69.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||5||27.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||4||25.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||8||3.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||7||3.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||14||36.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||11||6.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||10||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||12||42578||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||49||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||48||12.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||49||22.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||44||0.471||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||14||55995||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||40||18.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.