- STATE OVERVIEW
Colorado is 11th this year
It was 14th in 2011
- 11 Outcomes Rank
- 13 Determinants Rank
- 11 Overall Rank
- 1 Diabetes Rank
- 10 Smoking Rank
- 1 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Lower prevalence of sedentary lifestyle, obesity, & diabetes than all other states
- High geographic disparity within the state
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low immunization coverage
- Colorado has the lowest obesity rate in the U.S. at 20.7 percent of the population with 805,000 obese adults.
- In the past five years, per capita public health funding rose from $55 to $81.
- In the past ten years, the rate of cardiovascular deaths declined from 282.2 to 213.3 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past ten years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations declined from 57.2 to 46.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past year, children in poverty decreased from 18.5 percent to 15.5 percent of children under the age of 18.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease cases rose from 7.3 to 11.1 cases per 100,000 population.
- In Colorado, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 27.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 14.8 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 28.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 18.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.cdphe.state.co.us
|Cholesterol Check||26||74.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||35||68||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||1||83.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||27||33.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||1||7.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||17||15.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||1||2.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||1||33.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||1||2.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||2||25||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||14||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||15||44088||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||27||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||27||15.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||23||0.4588||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||6||13.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.