- STATE OVERVIEW
Colorado is 14th this year
It was 13th in 2010
- 13 Outcomes Rank
- 10 Determinants Rank
- 14 Overall Rank
- 2 Diabetes Rank
- 18 Smoking Rank
- 1 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low rates of cancer deaths and cardiovascular deaths
- Lower prevalence of obesity and diabetes than most other states
- Moderate prevalence of binge drinking
- High geographic disparity within the state
- Limited access to early prenatal care
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 4.8 percent to 6.0 percent of adults. There are now over 300,000 adults with diabetes in the state.
- In the past five years, smoking decreased from 19.8 percent to 16.0 percent of adults; however, more than 810,000 adults still smoke.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 10.9 percent to 18.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of uninsured population decreased from 15.6 percent to 13.8 percent.
- While Colorado has one of the lowest obesity rates in the U.S., over 1.0 million adults in Colorado are obese, an increase of 475,000 individuals in the past 10 years.
- In Colorado, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 27.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 18.3 percent. Diabetes among non-Hispanic blacks is double the rate among non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.cdphe.state.co.us
|Physical Activity||4||81.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||29||42.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||27||75.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||35||68||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||16||24.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||2||22.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||6||3.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||4||3.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||7||35.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||39||8.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||23||11.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||14||42226||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||27||8.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||27||8.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||26||15.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||29||0.457||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||7||62133||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||11||12.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.