- STATE OVERVIEW
Connecticut is 6th this year
It was 4th in 2011
- 8 Outcomes Rank
- 5 Determinants Rank
- 6 Overall Rank
- 19 Diabetes Rank
- 5 Smoking Rank
- 7 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Moderate high school graduation rate
- Moderate levels of air pollution
- While Connecticut has one of the lowest smoking rates in the U.S., 475,000 adults smoke.
- In the past five years, high school graduation rates declined from 80.7 percent to 75.4 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduate in four years.
- In the past five years, public health funding increased from $57 to $71 per person.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 67.3 to 60.4 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees..
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 8.9 percent to 14.3 percent of children under the age of 18.
- In the past year, the infant mortality rate decreased from 6.3 to 5.8 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In Connecticut, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.4 percent than Hispanics at 28.6 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 21.0 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 27.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 19.9 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dph.state.ct.us
|Cholesterol Check||5||80.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||2||81.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||22||74.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||4||18.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||26||12.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||18||15.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||6||3.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||13||36.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||7||3.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||16||29.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||9||10.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||1||56889||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||32||8.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||31||15.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||49||0.4859||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||14||14.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.