- STATE OVERVIEW
Delaware is 31st this year
It was 31st in 2011
- 29 Outcomes Rank
- 32 Determinants Rank
- 31 Overall Rank
- 28 Diabetes Rank
- 27 Smoking Rank
- 32 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low rate of occupational fatalities
- Low rate of uninsured population
- High infant mortality rate
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low immunization coverage
- In Delaware, 190,000 adults live a sedentary lifestyle, and more than 200,000 adults are obese.
- In the last ten years, the rate of cardiovascular deaths dropped from 331.4 to 258.1 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past five years, the levels of air pollution decreased from 14.7 to 11.0 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter. It still ranks 41st among states.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 12.4 percent to 22.3 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 72.1 to 58.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In Delaware, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.1 percent than Hispanics at 28.9 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 26.4 percent; sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 32.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 20.7 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 23.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 18.3 percent and non-Hispanic blacks at 15.5 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss
|Cholesterol Check||4||81.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||13||74.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||36||73||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||20||30.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||25||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||30||18.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||16||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||41||40.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||11||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||41||34.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||39||12.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||20||41635||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||18||7.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||13||13.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||12||0.4404||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||10||14.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.