- STATE OVERVIEW
Florida is 34th this year
It was 34th in 2011
- 41 Outcomes Rank
- 30 Determinants Rank
- 34 Overall Rank
- 38 Diabetes Rank
- 16 Smoking Rank
- 19 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low rate of cancer deaths
- Low rate of cardiovascular deaths
- High geographic disparity within the state
- High rate of uninsured population
- Low high school graduation rate
- In Florida, 4 million adults lead a sedentary lifestyle, and 4 million adults are obese.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 14.6 percent to 22.1 percent.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 70.1 to 65.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the rate of deaths from cardiovascular disease decreased significantly from 311.2 to 222.9 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, immunization coverage decreased from 94.7 percent to 91.3 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months.
- Ten years ago, 17.0 percent of the population was uninsured; today it is 20.2 percent.
- In Florida, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 18.5 percent than Hispanics at 11.5 percent; obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.1 percent than Hispanics at 29.1 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 24.7 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 29.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 22.2 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.doh.state.fl.us
|Cholesterol Check||12||79||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||38||66.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||34||73.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||23||32||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||18||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||10||14.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||45||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||48||41.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||45||5.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||38||34.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||42||13.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||27||39563||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||42||10||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||42||17.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||45||0.4811||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||43||20.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.