- STATE OVERVIEW
Florida is 34th this year
It was 36th in 2010
- 41 Outcomes Rank
- 30 Determinants Rank
- 34 Overall Rank
- 43 Diabetes Rank
- 23 Smoking Rank
- 23 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High rate of uninsured population
- High geographic disparity within the state
- Low high school graduation rate
- Almost 2 million people in Florida are affected by diabetes, an increase of 836,000 people in the last ten years.
- Florida ranks higher for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness should improve over time.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations increased from 62.5 to 64.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past year, the violent crime rate decreased from 613 to 542 offenses per 100,000 population.
- Over 5 million adults in Florida are obese, 2.1 million more individuals than 10 years ago.
- While smoking has decreased significantly in the past ten years, 3.2 million adults still smoke in Florida.
- In Florida, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 38.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.1 percent and Hispanics at 28.7 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.4 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 9.3 percent of Hispanics and 9.5 percent for non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.doh.state.fl.us
|Physical Activity||26||76||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||30||42.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||8||81.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||38||66.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||18||24.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||36||30.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||43||5.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||46||5.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||40||39.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||38||8.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||41||12.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||24||38222||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||46||10.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||46||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||46||19.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||46||0.474||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||39||45456||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||36||17.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.