- STATE OVERVIEW
Georgia is 36th this year
It was 38th in 2011
- 39 Outcomes Rank
- 37 Determinants Rank
- 36 Overall Rank
- 33 Diabetes Rank
- 25 Smoking Rank
- 27 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low high school graduation rate
- High infant mortality rate
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of low birthweight
- In the past five years, the high school graduation rate increased from 61.2 percent to 67.8 percent of ninth graders who graduate in four years.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 82.0 to 68.4 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 15.0 percent to 19.3 percent.
- Georgia has 2 million obese adults and almost 750,000 adults have diabetes.
- While Georgia is still challenged by a high infant mortality rate, in the past ten years it has declined from 8.4 to 7.7 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In Georgia, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 37.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.1 percent; smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 18.8 percent than Hispanics at 13.6 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 30.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 22.6 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.ga.us
|Cholesterol Check||21||76.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||24||70.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||31||73.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||38||41.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||35||15||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||21||17||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||33||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||18||37.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||33||32.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||43||13.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||39||36104||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||43||10.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||40||17.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||42||0.477||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||35||18.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.