- STATE OVERVIEW
Georgia is 38th this year
It was 37th in 2010
- 40 Outcomes Rank
- 38 Determinants Rank
- 38 Overall Rank
- 34 Diabetes Rank
- 27 Smoking Rank
- 38 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- High levels of air pollution
- High rate of uninsured population
- Low high school graduation rate
- In the past five years, the violent crime rate decreased from 446 to 403 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.8 percent to 9.7 percent of the adult population, increasing the number of adults with diabetes in the state to almost one million.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 16.4 percent to 24.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- While smoking has decreased from 22.1 percent to 17.6 percent of the adult population in the past five years, 1.7 million adults still smoke in Georgia.
- Over 3 million adults in Georgia are obese, 1.2 million more adults than 10 years ago.
- In Georgia, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 38.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 25.6 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.8 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.ga.us
|Physical Activity||33||74.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||38||51.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||17||78.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||24||70.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||18||24.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||37||31.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||6||3.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||19||37||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||46||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||35||11.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||38||34800||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||42||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||38||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||41||17.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||40||0.468||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||38||45509||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||31||16||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.