- STATE OVERVIEW
Hawaii is 2nd this year
It was 3rd in 2011
- 2 Outcomes Rank
- 2 Determinants Rank
- 2 Overall Rank
- 11 Diabetes Rank
- 3 Smoking Rank
- 2 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High prevalence of low birthweight
- Low high school graduation rate
- Currently, Hawaii has the lowest rate of preventable hospitalizations in the U.S. In the past five years, preventable hospitalizations decreased from 32.2 to 25.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Hawaii has one of the lowest obesity rates in the U.S. However, there are still 234,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past five years, the levels of air pollution increased from 4.6 to 8.9 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 10.5 percent to 15.9 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, the infant mortality rate declined from 7.6 to 5.8 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, geographic disparity within the state increased from 6.3 percent to 7.1 percent.
- In Hawaii, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders at 23.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 14.1 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Hawaiins/Pacific Islanders at 58.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 19.4 percent and Hispanics at 25.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: hawaii.gov/health
|Cholesterol Check||29||73.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||16||72.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||6||78.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||24||32.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||29||13.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||2||10.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||3||3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||16||37||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||3||3.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||9||28.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||33||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||17||43053||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||14||7.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||27||15.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||4||0.4301||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||15||15||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.