- STATE OVERVIEW
Hawaii is 3rd this year
It was 5th in 2010
- 1 Outcomes Rank
- 4 Determinants Rank
- 3 Overall Rank
- 20 Diabetes Rank
- 7 Smoking Rank
- 4 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Low rates of cancer deaths and cardiovascular deaths
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 7.3 percent to 8.3 percent of adults.
- In the past five years, obesity increased from 19.7 percent to 23.1 percent of adults. There are now 300,000 obese adults in Hawaii.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 10.0 percent to 18.9 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 28.6 to 25.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking has decreased from 19.7 percent in 2001 to 14.5 percent of adults in 2011, 189,000 adults still smoke in Hawaii.
- In Hawaii, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 19.3 percent than non-Hispanic Asians at 13.7 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 4.7 percent of non-Hispanic whites have diabetes compared to 9.6 percent of non-Hispanic Asians.
State Health Department Web Site: hawaii.gov/health
|Physical Activity||7||80.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||28||42.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||25||76.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||16||72.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||24||23.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||33||30.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||3||2.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||1||2.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||36||38.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||23||8.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||9||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||17||41661||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||9||6.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||7||6.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||34||16.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||8||0.433||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||8||61417||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||21||14.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.