- STATE OVERVIEW
Iowa is 20th this year
It was 16th in 2011
- 6 Outcomes Rank
- 27 Determinants Rank
- 20 Overall Rank
- 8 Diabetes Rank
- 21 Smoking Rank
- 33 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Few poor mental & physical health days per month
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- There are almost 680,000 obese adults in Iowa, and more than 600,000 adults lead a sedentary lifestyle in the state.
- In the past ten years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 70.8 to 60.4 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 7.9 percent to 11.1 percent.
- Iowa ranks lower for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness may decline over time.
- Last year, the rate of infectious disease cases was 11.3 per 100,000 population; today it is 17.0 cases.
- In Iowa, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 27.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 16.4 percent and Hispanics at 15.4 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 34.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.8 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/
|Cholesterol Check||31||73.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||7||76||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||24||74.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||17||28.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||29||13.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||27||18.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||12||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||23||38.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||14||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||17||29.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||23||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||24||40470||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||5||5.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||6||11.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||8||0.434||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||3||13||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.