- STATE OVERVIEW
Idaho is 17th this year
It was 15th in 2011
- 17 Outcomes Rank
- 18 Determinants Rank
- 17 Overall Rank
- 21 Diabetes Rank
- 6 Smoking Rank
- 21 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of sedentary lifestyle
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- High rate of uninsured population
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 13.2 percent to 22.3 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 55.8 to 43.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, infant mortality declined from 7.1 to 5.7 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- Last year, the incidence of infectious disease was 5.7 cases per 100,000 population; this year it is 10.0 cases.
- While Idaho has one of the lowest smoking rates in the U.S., close to 200,000 adults smoke.
- In Idaho, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Native Americans at 31.7 percent than Hispanics at 14.2 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 15.9 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic Native Americans at 40.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 25.3 percent and Hispanics at 33.3 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.healthandwelfare.idaho.gov
|Cholesterol Check||48||68||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||30||69.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||7||78.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||25||33||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||4||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||10||14.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||24||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||26||38.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||14||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||14||29.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||10||10.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||49||33326||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||30||8.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||36||16.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||6||0.432||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||17||15.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.