- STATE OVERVIEW
Idaho is 15th this year
It was 9th in 2010
- 15 Outcomes Rank
- 22 Determinants Rank
- 15 Overall Rank
- 18 Diabetes Rank
- 15 Smoking Rank
- 21 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Low violent crime rate
- High rate of uninsured population
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- Low immunization coverage
- Idaho ranks lower for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness may decline over time.
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 6.8 percent to 7.9 percent of adults. 123,000 Idaho adults now have diabetes.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 12.4 percent to 18.9 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 49.1 to 45.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Over 400,000 adults in Idaho are obese, 174,000 more individuals than 10 years ago.
- While smoking has decreased significantly from 22.3 percent to 15.7 percent of adults in the past ten years, 245,000 individuals still smoke in Idaho.
- In Idaho, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians at 29.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 16.1 percent. Similarly, 41.1 percent of non-Hispanic American Indian adults are obese compared to 25.1 percent of non-Hispanic white adults.
State Health Department Web Site: www.healthandwelfare.idaho.gov
|Physical Activity||9||80||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||27||41.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||49||69.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||30||69.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||17||24.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||6||25.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||15||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||7||3.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||21||37.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||7||6.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||5||9.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||49||31986||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||33||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||30||9.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||31||16.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||8||0.433||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||29||48535||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||27||15.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.