- STATE OVERVIEW
Illinois is 30th this year
It was 30th in 2011
- 27 Outcomes Rank
- 33 Determinants Rank
- 30 Overall Rank
- 28 Diabetes Rank
- 22 Smoking Rank
- 21 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low geographic disparity within the state
- Moderate prevalence of sedentary lifestyle
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- In the past five years, air pollution decreased from 14.5 to 11.7 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 14.9 percent to 19.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 89.4 to 75.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the infant mortality rate decreased from 8.5 to 7.0 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, the number of infectious disease cases rose from 11.1 to 13.7 cases per 100,000 population.
- Almost 2.7 million adults in Illinois are obese, and almost 2.5 million adults lead a sedentary lifestyle in the state.
- In Illinois, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.0 percent than Hispanics at 31.1 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 26.0 percent; smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 22.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 17.0 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 29.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.3 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.idph.state.il.us
|Cholesterol Check||32||73.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||26||69.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||20||74.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||25||33||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||20||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||24||17.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||6||3.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||22||38||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||7||3.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||26||31||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||31||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||14||44140||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||40||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||39||17||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||37||0.4718||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||28||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.