- STATE OVERVIEW
Illinois is 30th this year
It was 29th in 2010
- 22 Outcomes Rank
- 28 Determinants Rank
- 30 Overall Rank
- 25 Diabetes Rank
- 20 Smoking Rank
- 31 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- 3.7 million adults in Illinois are obese, 1.0 million more individuals than 10 years ago.
- Diabetes has increased sharply in the last 10 years from 6.2 percent to 8.7 percent of the adult population. Now, 1.1 million Illinois adults have diabetes.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 15.6 percent to 20.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the violent crime rate decreased from 497 to 435 offenses per 100,000 population.
- Infectious disease, at 11.1 cases per 100,000 population, has almost returned to the level experienced in 2006 after dipping to 8.2 cases per 100,000 population last year.
- While smoking has decreased from 22.3 percent to 16.9 percent of adults in the past ten years, 2.2 million people still smoke in Illinois.
- In Illinois, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 25.5 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.4 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.idph.state.il.us
|Physical Activity||34||74.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||21||38.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||30||75.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||26||69.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||33||22.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||26||28.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||16||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||25||37.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||31||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||34||11.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||16||42057||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||40||9.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||40||10.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||39||17.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||37||0.465||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||21||52328||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||28||15.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.