- STATE OVERVIEW
Indiana is 41st this year
It was 37th in 2011
- 36 Outcomes Rank
- 43 Determinants Rank
- 41 Overall Rank
- 33 Diabetes Rank
- 44 Smoking Rank
- 42 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Low geographic disparity within the state
- Low per capita public health funding
- High levels of air pollution
- High prevalence of smoking
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 83.2 to 76.0 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty more than doubled from 10.8 percent to 23.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the number of infectious disease cases rose from 7.8 to 11.7 cases per 100,000 population.
- Indiana has one of the highest prevalence of smoking in the U.S., with more than 1.25 million adults smoking.
- More than a half million adults in Indiana have diabetes and more than 1.5 million adults are obese.
- Although Indiana has one of the lowest amounts of public health funding in the U.S., it has increased from $33 to $44 per person over the past five years.
- In Indiana, smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 30.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 21.4 percent and Hispanics at 20.1 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 37.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.in.gov/isdh
|Cholesterol Check||35||72.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||32||68.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||42||70.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||32||37.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||33||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||27||18.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||38||4.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||34||39||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||45||5.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||36||32.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||26||11.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||41||35550||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||33||9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||34||15.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||17||0.4461||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||35||18.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.