- STATE OVERVIEW
Indiana is 37th this year
It was 38th in 2010
- 34 Outcomes Rank
- 41 Determinants Rank
- 37 Overall Rank
- 36 Diabetes Rank
- 41 Smoking Rank
- 37 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low geographic disparity within the state
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low per capita public health funding
- High levels of air pollution
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of smoking
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 8.3 percent to 9.8 percent of the adult population. Now, 630,000 Indiana adults have diabetes.
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 18.6 percent to 25.2 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the infant mortality rate decreased from 7.8 to 7.3 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations increased from 75.6 to 78.4 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking has decreased from 26.9 percent to 21.2 percent of adults in the past ten years, 1.4 million people still smoke in Indiana.
- Almost two million adults in Indiana are obese, 618,000 more individuals than 10 years ago.
- In Indiana, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 37.0 percent than Hispanics at 28.4 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 28.8 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.8 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 9.4 percent of Hispanics and 9.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.in.gov/isdh
|Physical Activity||38||73.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||31||43.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||29||75.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||32||68.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||38||20.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||38||31.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||42||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||42||39.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||30||8.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||33||11.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||41||34042||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||29||8.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||38||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||37||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||13||0.44||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||32||47595||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||34||16.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.