- STATE OVERVIEW
Kansas is 25th this year
It was 23rd in 2010
- 21 Outcomes Rank
- 27 Determinants Rank
- 25 Overall Rank
- 21 Diabetes Rank
- 22 Smoking Rank
- 36 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Few poor mental and physical health days per month
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- Low per capita public health funding
- High infant mortality rate
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 6.9 percent to 8.4 percent of the adult population. Now, 239,000 Kansas adults have diabetes.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 18.0 percent to 23.1 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 75.3 to 70.5 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Over 800,000 adults in Kansas are obese, 295,000 more individuals than 10 years ago.
- The rate of deaths from cardiovascular disease has declined in the last ten years from 324.3 to 265.2 deaths per 100,000 population.
- While smoking has decreased from 21.0 percent to 17.0 percent of adults in the past ten years, almost a half million people still smoke in Kansas.
- In Kansas, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.8 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.4 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.2 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.kdheks.gov
|Physical Activity||26||76||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||33||45.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||34||75||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||15||72.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||43||18.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||24||28.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||23||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||30||38.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||17||7.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||16||10.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||23||39005||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||12||6.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||9||7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||8||12.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||20||0.445||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||33||47506||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||16||13.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.