- STATE OVERVIEW
Kansas is 24th this year
It was 25th in 2011
- 23 Outcomes Rank
- 26 Determinants Rank
- 24 Overall Rank
- 22 Diabetes Rank
- 30 Smoking Rank
- 37 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low prevalence of low birthweight
- Limited availability of primary care physicians
- Low per capita public health funding
- High occupational fatalities rate
- Ten years ago, 13.6 percent of persons under age 18 lived in poverty; this year it is 21.1 percent.
- The rate of deaths from cardiovascular disease declined in the last ten years from 321.1 to 260.3 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past 5 years, the amount of public health funding increased from $37 to $45 dollars per person.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 80.8 to 66.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Kansas has one of the highest obesity rates in the U.S., with more than 630,000 obese adults.
- In Kansas, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 34.1 percent than non-Hispanic blacks at 26.5 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 22.8 percent; smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 23.6 percent than Hispanics at 17.1 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 16.9 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.9 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.kdheks.gov
|Cholesterol Check||34||72.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||15||72.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||33||73.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||37||39.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||8||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||12||14.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||25||38.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||24||30.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||11||10.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||23||40481||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||11||6.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||10||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||14||0.4442||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||15||15||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.