- STATE OVERVIEW
Kentucky is 44th this year
It was 44th in 2010
- 45 Outcomes Rank
- 42 Determinants Rank
- 44 Overall Rank
- 38 Diabetes Rank
- 49 Smoking Rank
- 46 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low violent crime rate
- High prevalence of obesity
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of cancer deaths
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 13.0 percent to 15.4 percent of the population.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 15.2 percent to 24.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, diabetes decreased from 11.5 percent to 10.0 percent of the population. However, there are still 430,000 adults in Kentucky with diabetes.
- While smoking has decreased from 30.5 percent to 24.8 percent of adults in the past ten years, 1.1 million people still smoke in Kentucky.
- Almost 1.4 million adults in Kentucky are obese, 449,000 more individuals than 10 years ago.
- In Kentucky, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 43.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 31.0 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.9 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 10.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.chfs.ky.gov
|Physical Activity||43||70.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||43||55.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||20||78.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||44||63.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||35||21||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||47||36.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||47||6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||48||5.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||49||41.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||42||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||48||13.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||47||32376||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||37||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||42||10.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||32||16.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||38||0.466||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||45||42401||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||48||21.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.