- STATE OVERVIEW
Kentucky is 44th this year
It was 44th in 2011
- 45 Outcomes Rank
- 40 Determinants Rank
- 44 Overall Rank
- 41 Diabetes Rank
- 50 Smoking Rank
- 40 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low violent crime rate
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of cancer deaths
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- High school graduation rates improved in the last five years, from 73.0 percent to 77.6 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduate within four years.
- In the past five years, levels of air pollution decreased from 13.6 to 11.4 micrograms of particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past year, immunization coverage increased from 89.7 percent to 92.2 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months.
- Kentucky has the highest smoking rate in the U.S. at 29.0 percent of the adult population, with more than 970,000 adult smokers in the state.
- There are more than one million obese adults in Kentucky.
- While Kentucky remains as the state with the highest rate of preventable hospitalization, in the past ten years, the rate declined from 115.3 to 102.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In Kentucky, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 31.8 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.chfs.ky.gov
|Cholesterol Check||23||75.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||44||63.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||43||70.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||44||46.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||41||16.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||43||24.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||49||5.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||43||41.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||48||6.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||46||38||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||44||13.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||47||33667||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||38||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||33||15.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||35||0.4709||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||45||22.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.