- STATE OVERVIEW
Louisiana is 50th this year
It was 49th in 2010
- 48 Outcomes Rank
- 50 Determinants Rank
- 50 Overall Rank
- 41 Diabetes Rank
- 44 Smoking Rank
- 42 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Low high school graduation rate
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.6 percent to 10.3 percent of the adult population. Now, 467,000 adults have diabetes.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 19.5 percent to 30.5 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the violent crime rate decreased from 620 to 549 offenses per 100,000 population.
- Over 1.4 million adults in Louisiana are obese, 381,000 more individuals than 10 years ago.
- While smoking has declined from 24.1 percent to 22.1 percent of adults over the last ten years, more than 1.0 million people still smoke in Louisiana.
- In Louisiana, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 28.4 percent and Hispanics at 29.3 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.4 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 9.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 9.5 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhh.louisiana.gov/
|Physical Activity||47||69.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||42||54.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||23||77.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||42||63.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||46||16.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||46||35.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||40||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||43||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||18||36.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||49||10.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||42||12.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||28||37021||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||13||7.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||14||7.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||10||12.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||47||0.475||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||47||40540||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||46||21.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.