- STATE OVERVIEW
Louisiana is 49th this year
It was 50th in 2011
- 49 Outcomes Rank
- 50 Determinants Rank
- 49 Overall Rank
- 46 Diabetes Rank
- 45 Smoking Rank
- 49 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of sedentary lifestyle, obesity &diabetes
- High rate of infant mortality and prevalence of low birthweight
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, the amount of public health funding increased from $69 to $102 per person.
- In the past year, the high school graduation rate increased from 63.5 percent to 67.3 percent of ninth graders who graduate within four years.
- Last year, 17.2 percent of the population was uninsured; this year it is 20.3 percent.
- Obesity remains high at 33.4 percent of the adult population, with almost 1.2 million obese adults in Louisiana.
- While Kentucky has one of the highest rates of preventable hospitalization in the U.S., the rate declined from 114.8 to 92.1 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees over the last ten years.
- In Louisiana, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.3 percent and Hispanics at 28.9 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.4 percent and Hispanics at 25.1 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhh.louisiana.gov/
|Cholesterol Check||27||74.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||42||63.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||47||66.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||45||47.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||40||16.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||38||21.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||39||4.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||31||38.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||36||5.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||47||38.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||48||15.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||28||38578||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||20||7.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||15||13.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||48||0.4836||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||46||23||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.