- STATE OVERVIEW
Massachusetts is 4th this year
It was 7th in 2011
- 3 Outcomes Rank
- 4 Determinants Rank
- 4 Overall Rank
- 6 Diabetes Rank
- 9 Smoking Rank
- 3 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low occupational fatalities rate
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, the rate of uninsured population decreased from 9.8 percent to 4.5 percent.
- In the past ten years, the rate of cancer deaths decreased from 206.9 to 184.4 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the incidence of infectious disease decreased from 13.5 to 9.8 cases per 100,000 population.
- Massachusetts has one of the lowest obesity rates in the U.S. at 22.7 percent of the adult population, yet almost 1.2 million adults are obese in the state.
- Ten years ago, the rate of preventable hospitalizations was 84.1 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees; today it is 72.8.
- In Massachusetts, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 35.5 percent than non-Hispanic blacks at 26.2 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 18.6 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 31.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 22.1 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.mass.gov/dph
|Cholesterol Check||1||83.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||1||81.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||14||76.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||2||17.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||6||9.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||7||14||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||12||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||2||34.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||11||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||12||29.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||12||10.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||2||53621||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||14||7.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||22||14.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||43||0.4771||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||7||14||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.