- STATE OVERVIEW
Massachusetts is 7th this year
It was 2nd in 2010
- 3 Outcomes Rank
- 5 Determinants Rank
- 7 Overall Rank
- 12 Diabetes Rank
- 5 Smoking Rank
- 7 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Lower prevalence of obesity than most other states
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, smoking decreased from 18.1 percent to 14.1 percent of adults. However, 935,000 adults still smoke.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 5.8 percent to 7.4 percent of the adult population. There are now over 491,000 adults with diabetes in the state.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 16.8 percent to 23.6 percent of adults, with 1.6 million people now obese.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 16.7 percent to 12.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In Massachusetts, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 30.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 21.8 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 11.1 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 9.3 percent Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.mass.gov/dph
|Physical Activity||11||79.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||2||20.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||1||83.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||1||81.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||11||26.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||5||25.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||23||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||9||35.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||19||7.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||14||10.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||2||51302||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||16||7.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||23||8.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||15||14.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||47||0.475||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||5||62856||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||7||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.