- STATE OVERVIEW
Maryland is 24th this year
It was 21st in 2010
- 33 Outcomes Rank
- 16 Determinants Rank
- 24 Overall Rank
- 31 Diabetes Rank
- 10 Smoking Rank
- 28 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- Low prevalence of smoking
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- High infant mortality rate
- High levels of air pollution
- High violent crime rate
- In the past five years, the violent crime rate decreased from 704 to 548 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.4 percent to 9.3 percent of the adult population; 534,000 adults now have diabetes.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 12.3 percent to 13.6 percent of persons under age 18. Children in poverty was only 6.9 percent in 2001.
- Maryland ranks higher for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness should improve over time.
- Over 1.6 million adults in Maryland are obese, 528,000 more adults than 10 years ago.
- While smoking has decreased from 20.5 percent to 15.2 percent of adults in the past ten years, 872,000 people still smoke in Maryland.
- In Maryland, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 36.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.3 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 12.8 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.0 percent of non-Hispanic whites.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhmh.maryland.gov
|Physical Activity||21||76.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||13||32.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||3||83.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||10||75.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||6||27.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||28||29.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||10||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||12||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||23||37.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||43||9.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||24||11.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||4||49070||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||15||7.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||14||7.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||12||13||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||18||0.443||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||3||66226||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||14||13||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.