- STATE OVERVIEW
Maine is 9th this year
It was 10th in 2011
- 19 Outcomes Rank
- 8 Determinants Rank
- 9 Overall Rank
- 26 Diabetes Rank
- 33 Smoking Rank
- 25 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low prevalence of low birthweight
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Low violent crime rate
- High prevalence of obesity
- High prevalence of smoking
- High rate of cancer deaths
- In the past five years, infant mortality decreased from 6.3 to 5.6 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 11.8 percent to 17.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 75.9 to 59.3 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past year, public health funding decreased from $86 to $83 per person.
- Maine ranks higher for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness may improve over time.
- Almost 250,000 adults smoke in Maine and almost 300,000 adults are obese.
- In Maine obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanics whites at 27.0 percent than Hispanics at 20.9 percent; sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 21.8 percent than Hispanics at 16.7 percent; and smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 25.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 17.4 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.maine.gov/dhhs
|Cholesterol Check||7||80.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||33||68.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||13||77||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||6||21.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||18||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||16||15.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||44||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||42||40.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||43||5.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||32||32.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||4||9.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||31||37973||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||24||8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||27||15.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||20||0.4509||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||20||16||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.