- STATE OVERVIEW
Maine is 10th this year
It was 8th in 2010
- 18 Outcomes Rank
- 8 Determinants Rank
- 10 Overall Rank
- 25 Diabetes Rank
- 28 Smoking Rank
- 24 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low geographic disparity within the state
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Low violent crime rate
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Low immunization coverage
- High rate of cancer deaths
- In the past five years, obesity increased from 22.7 percent to 27.4 percent of the population; 360,000 people in Maine are now obese.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.0 percent to 8.7 percent of adults; 114,000 adults now have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 8.9 percent to 17.8 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, geographic disparity within the state decreased from 7.8 percent to 6.7 percent.
- Maine ranks higher for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness should improve over time.
- While smoking has decreased from 23.8 percent to 18.2 percent of adults in the past ten years, 239,000 people still smoke in Maine.
- In Maine, smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 23.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 17.6 percent. Whereas, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 26.7 percent than among Hispanics at 21.0 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.maine.gov/dhhs
|Physical Activity||18||77.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||7||26.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||6||82.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||33||68.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||3||27.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||31||30||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||38||5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||42||5.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||36||38.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||9||6.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||8||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||31||36717||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||17||7.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||17||7.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||25||15.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||12||0.437||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||27||49442||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||23||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.