- STATE OVERVIEW
Michigan is 33rd this year
It was 28th in 2010
- 35 Outcomes Rank
- 32 Determinants Rank
- 33 Overall Rank
- 39 Diabetes Rank
- 33 Smoking Rank
- 42 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low occupational fatalities rate
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Low per capita public health funding
- High prevalence of obesity
- High violent crime rate
- In the past five years, obesity increased from 26.2 percent to 31.7 percent of the adult population. Now 3.1 million Michigan adults are obese.
- In the past five years, the violent crime rate decreased from 554 to 490 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 13.8 percent to 20.4 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, diabetes increased from 9.3 percent to 10.1 percent of the population, with 1.0 million diabetics in the state.
- While smoking has decreased from 24.1 percent to 18.9 percent of the adult population in the past ten years, 1.9 million adults still smoke in Michigan.
- In Michigan, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 41.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.1 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.8 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.6 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 10.7 percent Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.michigan.gov/mdch
|Physical Activity||23||76.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||14||33.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||14||79.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||18||72.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||31||22.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||29||29.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||37||4.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||43||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||32||38.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||36||8.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||30||11.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||39||34691||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||48||11.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||49||12.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||48||21||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||23||0.451||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||31||47736||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||21||14.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.