- STATE OVERVIEW
Michigan is 37th this year
It was 33rd in 2011
- 33 Outcomes Rank
- 38 Determinants Rank
- 37 Overall Rank
- 30 Diabetes Rank
- 40 Smoking Rank
- 46 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low occupational fatalities rate
- Low prevalence of sedentary lifestyle
- Low rate of uninsured population
- High prevalence of obesity
- High prevalence of smoking
- Low immunization coverage
- Although Michigan has one of the lower rates of sedentary lifestyle in the U.S., there are more than 1.7 million adults living a sedentary lifestyle and almost 2.4 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past five years, air pollution decreased from 12.9 to 9.5 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 77.6 to 69.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 12.4 percent to 22.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- Last year, 92.9 percent of children ages 19 to 35 months received immunizations, this year it is 87.0 percent.
- In Michigan, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.1 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.2 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 29.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 22.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.michigan.gov/mdch
|Cholesterol Check||19||76.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||18||72.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||15||76.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||19||30.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||24||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||7||14||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||41||5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||46||41.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||41||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||38||34.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||35||12.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||36||36533||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||44||10.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||48||18.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||28||0.4612||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||26||17.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.