- STATE OVERVIEW
Minnesota is 6th this year
It was 6th in 2010
- 2 Outcomes Rank
- 7 Determinants Rank
- 6 Overall Rank
- 4 Diabetes Rank
- 8 Smoking Rank
- 14 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low rate of deaths from cardiovascular disease
- Low rate of uninsured population
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- Low per capita public health funding
- The violent crime rate decreased in the last five years from 297 to 236 offenses per 100,000 population.
- While smoking has decreased from 19.8 percent to 14.9 percent of adults in the past ten years, 788,000 people still smoke in Minnesota.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 4.9 percent to 6.7 percent of the population, with 354,000 diabetics in the state.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 17.4 percent to 25.4 percent of the adult population, with 1.3 million obese adults in Minnesota.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 17.4 percent to 13.9 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 55.1 to 52.9 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In Minnesota, smoking is more prevalent among Hispanics at 20.8 percent and non-Hispanic blacks at 21.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 15.9 percent. Diabetes is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 6.3 percent than among non-Hispanic blacks at 3.4 percent but less prevalent than among Hispanics at 7.4 percent of adults.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.mn.us
|Physical Activity||6||80.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||8||27.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||24||77||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||3||78.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||34||21.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||1||21.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||7||3.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||7||3.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||3||33.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||4||6.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||3||9.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||10||42847||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||13||7.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||13||7.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||13||13.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||13||0.44||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||16||53972||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||3||10.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.