- STATE OVERVIEW
Missouri is 42nd this year
It was 40th in 2011
- 40 Outcomes Rank
- 44 Determinants Rank
- 42 Overall Rank
- 33 Diabetes Rank
- 42 Smoking Rank
- 39 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Lower prevalence of low birthweight than most other states
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of sedentary lifestyle & obesity
- High prevalence of smoking
- Low immunization coverage
- Air pollution decreased in the past five years, from 12.2 to 10.3 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In Missouri, more than 1.1 million adults smoke.
- In the past ten years, the rate of uninsured population increased from 9.4 percent to 14.4 percent.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 20.5 percent to 23.1 percent of persons under age 18. Children in poverty was 12.5 percent in 2002.
- Public health funding, in the past five years, increased from $40 to $46 per person.
- In Missouri, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 37.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 25.7 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 30.1 percent and Hispanics at 29.1 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhss.mo.gov
|Cholesterol Check||28||74||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||41||64.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||41||71.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||31||37.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||37||4.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||38||40.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||47||5.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||40||34.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||29||12.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||29||38248||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||27||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||24||14.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||26||0.4611||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||33||18.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.