- STATE OVERVIEW
Missouri is 40th this year
It was 39th in 2010
- 39 Outcomes Rank
- 40 Determinants Rank
- 40 Overall Rank
- 32 Diabetes Rank
- 40 Smoking Rank
- 41 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of smoking
- High preventable hospitalizations
- Low immunization coverage
- The rate of deaths from cardiovascular disease has decreased by 21 percent in the last ten years, from 381.1 to 301.9 deaths per 100,000 population.
- In the past five years, obesity increased from 26.9 percent to 31.4 percent of the adult population. There are now 1.9 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past ten years, smoking decreased from 27.2 percent to 21.1 percent of the adult population; however, there are still 1.3 million adults in Missouri who smoke.
- In the past year, diabetes increased from 7.9 percent to 9.4 percent of the adult population, with 565,000 diabetic adults in the state.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 23.8 percent to 20.5 percent of persons under age 18. Children in poverty was 10.6 percent in 2001.
- In Missouri, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 38.2 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 29.5 percent and Hispanics at 29.0 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.2 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.3 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 7.0 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhss.mo.gov
|Physical Activity||41||72.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||32||45.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||43||73.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||41||64.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||42||19.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||34||30.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||27||38.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||24||8.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||27||11.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||29||36965||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||30||8.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||33||9.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||30||15.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||27||0.455||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||35||47262||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||33||16.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.