- STATE OVERVIEW
Mississippi is 49th this year
It was 50th in 2010
- 50 Outcomes Rank
- 48 Determinants Rank
- 49 Overall Rank
- 49 Diabetes Rank
- 46 Smoking Rank
- 50 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- High infant mortality rate
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High prevalence of obesity
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 9.8 percent to 12.4 percent of the adult population; there are now 367,000 individuals with diabetes in the state.
- In the past five years, obesity increased from 30.9 percent to 34.5 percent of the adult population, with 1.0 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past ten years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 16.4 percent to 33.7 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, the violent crime rate decreased from 349 to 270 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the rate of uninsured population increased from 17.7 percent to 19.2 percent.
- Smoking has decreased minimally in the last ten years from 23.5 percent to 22.9 percent of the adult population; 678,000 people still smoke in Mississippi.
- In Mississippi, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 30.4 percent and Hispanics at 35.4 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.5 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 10.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 8.7 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.msdh.state.ms.us
|Physical Activity||50||67||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||50||65.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||35||74.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||49||58.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||47||16.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||49||37.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||43||5.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||29||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||48||41.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||50||11.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||50||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||50||31046||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||43||10.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||41||10.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||40||17.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||40||0.468||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||50||39363||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||50||23.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.