- STATE OVERVIEW
Montana is 26th this year
It was 25th in 2010
- 25 Outcomes Rank
- 26 Determinants Rank
- 26 Overall Rank
- 7 Diabetes Rank
- 32 Smoking Rank
- 6 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low prevalence of diabetes
- Lower prevalence of obesity than most other states
- High geographic disparity within the state
- High occupational fatalities rate
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 5.7 percent to 7.0 percent of the adult population.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 15.9 percent to 23.5 percent of the population. There are 230,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 21.0 percent to 19.2 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 67.0 to 60.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Smoking has remained unchanged in the last ten years at 18.8 percent of adults; 184,000 adults still smoke in Montana.
- In Montana, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians at 42.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites and Hispanics, both at 22.9 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.4 percent of non-Hispanic American Indians have diabetes compared to 6.4 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 4.3 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dphhs.mt.gov
|Physical Activity||13||78.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||25||40.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||45||72||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||46||61.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||13||25.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||18||27.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||32||4.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||12||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||14||36.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||18||7.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||26||11.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||35||35068||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||20||7.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||12||7.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||23||14.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||11||0.435||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||44||42582||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||26||15||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.