- STATE OVERVIEW
North Carolina is 33rd this year
It was 35th in 2011
- 38 Outcomes Rank
- 31 Determinants Rank
- 33 Overall Rank
- 42 Diabetes Rank
- 27 Smoking Rank
- 34 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- Few poor mental & physical health days per month
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low per capita public health funding
- High infant mortality rate & high prevalence of low birthweight
- High prevalence of diabetes
- Immunization coverage dropped below 90.0 percent for the first time in eight years.
- In the past five years, air pollution decreased from 13.0 to 10.0 micrograms of fine particulate per cubic meter.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 75.1 to 62.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- Last year, 27.6 percent of persons under age 18 lived in poverty; today it is 23.9 percent.
- The rate of uninsured population increased from 13.4 percent to 16.7 percent in the past ten years.
- Diabetes remains high at 10.9 percent of the adult population. More than 800,000 adults have diabetes in the state.
- In North Carolina, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.5 percent and Hispanics at 24.8 percent; smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 20.9 percent than Hispanics at 13.9 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 32.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.4 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhhs.state.nc.us
|Cholesterol Check||14||78.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||34||68.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||31||73.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||33||38.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||28||12.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||25||17.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||26||38.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||33||32.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||36||12.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||38||36164||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||45||10.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||44||17.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||36||0.4716||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||39||19.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.