- STATE OVERVIEW
North Carolina is 35th this year
It was 35th in 2010
- 38 Outcomes Rank
- 31 Determinants Rank
- 35 Overall Rank
- 36 Diabetes Rank
- 36 Smoking Rank
- 30 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low incidence of infectious disease
- Low prevalence of binge drinking
- Low per capita public health funding
- High infant mortality rate
- High percentage of children in poverty
- In the past five years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 18.3 percent to 27.6 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 6.4 percent to 9.8 percent of adults. There are now 927,000 adults with diabetes in the state.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 21.8 percent to 28.6 percent of adults; now, there are 2.7 million obese adults in North Carolina.
- While smoking has decreased from 26.1 percent to 19.8 percent of adults in the past ten years, 1.9 million adults still smoke in the state.
- In North Carolina, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 42.4 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 26.7 percent and Hispanics at 27.0 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 15.3 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 8.7 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 4.9 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhhs.state.nc.us
|Physical Activity||34||74.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||37||49.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||19||78.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||34||68.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||38||20.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||40||31.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||32||4.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||34||4.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||43||39.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||40||9.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||28||11.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||36||34977||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||44||10.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||43||10.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||37||17.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||34||0.464||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||40||45213||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||40||18.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.