- STATE OVERVIEW
North Dakota is 11th this year
It was 16th in 2010
- 20 Outcomes Rank
- 11 Determinants Rank
- 11 Overall Rank
- 12 Diabetes Rank
- 26 Smoking Rank
- 28 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low violent crime rate
- High immunization coverage
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- High geographic disparity within the state
- While smoking has decreased from 23.2 percent to 17.4 percent of adults in the past ten years, 114,000 adults still smoke in the state.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 5.2 percent to 7.4 percent of adults. There are now 48,000 adults with diabetes in the state.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 20.4 percent to 27.9 percent of adults; now, there are 182,000 obese adults in North Dakota.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 14.4 percent to 16.1 percent of persons under age 18.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 69.0 to 64.1 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In North Dakota, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic American Indians at 43.5 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 27.4 percent and Hispanics at 37.7 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 14.7 percent of non-Hispanic American Indians have diabetes compared to 7.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 6.5 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.ndhealth.gov
|Physical Activity||31||75.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||10||28.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||31||75.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||16||72.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||31||22.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||11||26.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||27||4.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||5||34.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||12||6.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||17||10.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||11||42764||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||1||3.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||1||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||1||7.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||8||0.433||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||20||52614||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||15||13.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.