- STATE OVERVIEW
Nebraska is 18th this year
It was 12th in 2010
- 11 Outcomes Rank
- 20 Determinants Rank
- 18 Overall Rank
- 16 Diabetes Rank
- 24 Smoking Rank
- 25 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- Low rate of uninsured population
- Few poor mental and physical health days per month
- High incidence of infectious disease
- High prevalence of binge drinking
- The incidence of infectious disease increased 18 percent in the last year, from 12.0 to 14.1 cases per 100,000 population.
- While smoking decreased from 21.2 percent to 17.2 percent of adults in the last ten years, 312,000 adults still smoke in Nebraska.
- In the past ten years, diabetes increased from 4.9 percent to 7.7 percent of adults. Now 139,000 Nebraska adults have diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 21.1 percent to 27.5 percent of adults, with 498,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past ten years, the violent crime rate decreased from 430 to 280 offenses per 100,000 population.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 69.1 to 65.7 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In Nebraska, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 27.0 percent and Hispanics at 31.8 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 11.7 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.5 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 8.5 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhhs.ne.gov/
|Physical Activity||29||75.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||19||36.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||41||73.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||28||69.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||37||20.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||13||27.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||15||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||19||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||24||37.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||15||7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||29||11.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||20||39674||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||2||4.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||2||4.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||2||8.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||7||0.432||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||15||54160||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||10||12||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.