- STATE OVERVIEW
New Hampshire is 2nd this year
It was 3rd in 2010
- 4 Outcomes Rank
- 3 Determinants Rank
- 2 Overall Rank
- 18 Diabetes Rank
- 20 Smoking Rank
- 15 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High immunization coverage
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- Low violent crime rate
- Ready access to early prenatal care
- Moderate per capita public health funding
- Moderate prevalence of binge drinking
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 18.1 percent to 25.5 percent of the adult population, with 338,000 obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, diabetes increased from 7.1 percent to 7.9 percent of the adult population. There are now 105,000 New Hampshire adults with diabetes.
- In the past year, the percentage of children in poverty decreased from 10.5 percent to 6.2 percent of persons under age 18.
- Since 1990, the infant mortality rate decreased from 8.4 to 4.7 deaths per 1,000 live births and is the lowest among all states.
- While smoking has decreased from 25.3 percent to 16.9 percent of the adult population in the last ten years, 224,000 adults still smoke in New Hampshire.
- In New Hampshire, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic whites at 25.8 percent than Hispanics at 24.0 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.dhhs.state.nh.us
|Physical Activity||8||80.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||1||19.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||4||82.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||6||76.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||3||27.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||24||28.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||20||4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||29||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||32||38.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||6||6.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||2||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||9||43586||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||4||5.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||4||6.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||7||11.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||4||0.425||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||1||68735||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||7||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.