- STATE OVERVIEW
New Jersey is 8th this year
It was 17th in 2011
- 10 Outcomes Rank
- 10 Determinants Rank
- 8 Overall Rank
- 16 Diabetes Rank
- 3 Smoking Rank
- 4 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low prevalence of smoking
- High rate of preventable hospitalizations
- High rate of uninsured population
- Higher prevalence of sedentary lifestyle than most other states
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations declined from 83.9 to 68.8 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- In the past ten years, infant mortality rates decreased from 6.5 to 5.3 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- In the past year, the percent of children in poverty rose from 12.8 percent to 17.4 percent of persons under age 18. In 2002, it was 9.1 percent.
- New Jersey has one of the lowest smoking rates in the U.S.; however, more than 1.1 million adults smoke in the state.
- Public health funding decreased from $69 to $65 per person in the last year.
- In New Jersey, sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 36.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 22.7 percent; and obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 36.0 percent than Hispanics at 27.8 percent and non-Hispanic whites at 23.3 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.state.nj.us/health
|Cholesterol Check||6||80.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||7||76||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||30||73.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||5||20.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||12||10.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||19||16.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||24||4.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||16||37||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||19||4.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||21||30.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||24||11.6||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||3||53181||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||35||9.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||35||16||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||34||0.4694||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||22||16.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.