- STATE OVERVIEW
New Jersey is 17th this year
It was 17th in 2010
- 12 Outcomes Rank
- 12 Determinants Rank
- 17 Overall Rank
- 30 Diabetes Rank
- 6 Smoking Rank
- 12 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High rate of high school graduation
- Low percentage of children in poverty
- Ready availability of primary care physicians
- Moderate rate of preventable hospitalizations
- Limited access to early prenatal care
- Low immunization coverage
- In the past five years, diabetes increased from 7.7 percent to 9.2 percent of the adult population. There are now 800,000 New Jersey adults with diabetes.
- In the past ten years, obesity increased from 18.5 percent to 24.8 percent of the population, with 2.2 million obese adults in the state.
- In the past year, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 76.2 to 71.6 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
- While smoking has decreased from 21.0 percent to 14.4 percent of the adult population in the last ten years, 1.3 million adults still smoke in New Jersey.
- In New Jersey, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 35.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 23.1 percent and Hispanics at 26.8 percent. Diabetes also varies by race and ethnicity in the state; 13.7 percent of non-Hispanic blacks have diabetes compared to 7.8 percent of non-Hispanic whites and 8.5 percent of Hispanics.
State Health Department Web Site: www.state.nj.us/health
|Physical Activity||39||73.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||5||24.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cholesterol Check||7||82.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||7||76||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Diet, Fruit & Vegetables||9||26.3||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||22||28.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||14||3.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||16||3.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||19||37||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Low Birthweight||34||8.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||36||11.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||3||51167||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, August||36||9.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||31||9.5||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||28||15.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||34||0.464||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Median Household Income||4||64954||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||23||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.