- STATE OVERVIEW
New Mexico is 32nd this year
It was 32nd in 2011
- 24 Outcomes Rank
- 34 Determinants Rank
- 32 Overall Rank
- 30 Diabetes Rank
- 26 Smoking Rank
- 17 Obesity Rank
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher.
- Percentage of the population estimated to be obese, with a body mass index (BMI) of 30.0 or higher. (2011 BRFSS Methodology)
- High per capita public health funding
- Low levels of air pollution
- Low rate of cardiovascular and cancer deaths
- High percentage of children in poverty
- High rate of uninsured population
- Low high school graduation rate
- Although New Mexico has a lower rate of sedentary lifestyle than most other states in the U.S., there are still 395,000 sedentary adults in the state.
- In the past five years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 67.0 to 54.9 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees
- In the past ten years, infant mortality decreased from 6.8 to 5.4 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- Last year, 27.6 percent of persons under age 18 lived in poverty; this year it is 31.7 percent.
- New Mexico ranks lower for determinants than for outcomes, indicating that overall healthiness may decline over time.
- In New Mexico, obesity is more prevalent among Hispanics at 30.7 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 20.6 percent; smoking is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 23.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 15.9 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 26.3 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 18.7 percent.
State Health Department Web Site: www.health.state.nm.us
|Cholesterol Check||44||70.1||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Dental Visit, Annual||36||67.2||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Physical Activity||21||74.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Teen Birth Rate||49||53||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Obesity||27||12.8||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Youth Smoking||35||19.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Cardiac Heart Disease||11||3.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Cholesterol||9||35.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Heart Attack||25||4.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|High Blood Pressure||6||28.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Preterm Birth||27||11.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Personal Income, Per Capita||43||34575||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Unemployment Rate, Annual||17||7.4||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Underemployment Rate||25||14.7||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Income Disparity||47||0.4821||VIEW ACTIONS|
|Health Status||40||19.9||VIEW ACTIONS|
We can all work together to improve our nation’s health. Here are a few websites, articles and tools to help you get started.
Create the report you need with this innovative new tool. Customize by year, state and other categories to access info that’s most important to you.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our monthly newsletter for updates and information about the health of our nation.